Tofu and mango bowl with a peanut butter sauce
Makes 2 servings
For the tofu
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (plus extra to fry)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the peanut sauce
40g peanut butter
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
For the mango
1 ripe mango, diced
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
A handful of green onions, chopped
A handful of coriander, chopped
1/2 cup rice, uncooked
1. Press the tofu around an hour before cooking to allow all the water to drain- this is an important step to ensure the tofu becomes crispy!
2. Preheat the oven to 205°C
3. In a blender add the maple syrup, coconut oil, soy sauce, cornstarch and garlic powder and blend until smooth.4. then toss the tofu in the blended cornstarch mixture.
5. Slice the tofu into small cubes and transfer the tofu into a bowl. Pour the cornstarch mixture over it, coating all cubes evenly (don't get rid of the remaining sauce!).
6. Transfer the tofu into a baking tray and pour what’s left of the sauce over the cubes. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Whilst the tofu is baking, cook the rice according to the package instructions. Set aside.
8. Prepare the peanut sauce by blending the peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, water, maple syrup and sesame oil until creamy and smooth. For a thicker sauce, add some more peanut butter and for a thinner sauce, add some water.
9. In a large bowl, combine the diced mango, red bell pepper, green onion, coriander, lime juice and salt. Mix well.
10. Assemble the bowl. Into a bowl, add the rice, tofu, mango mix and top with the peanut butter sauce. Serve!
Recipe developed from cookieandkate.