Lemon and courgette loaf cake
Fits one 23x13cm (9x5 inch) loaf tin. If you're having to substitute loaf tins, try to use one closest size.
For the cake:
170g courgette, grated (this is approximately one large courgette, weighed after all the water has been squeezed out)
1/4 cup lemon zest and 60ml lemon juice (roughly 2 lemons)
60ml soy milk (or any other plant milk)
60ml sunflower oil
1/4 cup lemon zest (roughly two lemons)
1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp hot water)
255g all purpose flour
100g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
For the glaze:
100g icing sugar
30ml lemon juice (roughly half a lemon)
1 or 2 drops of yellow food colouring gel
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9x5 inch loaf tin with parchment paper, making sure to leave some overhanging on both sides so the cake can be lifted out easily.
2. Prepare the chia egg by mixing 1 tbsp chia seeds with 1 tbsp hot water. Set aside. It should become gloopy after a couple of minutes.
3. Grate the courgette (no need to peel it). Wrap it in kitchen towel then squeeze out all the moisture over the sink. You could use your hands to do this if you dont have kitchen towel! This is a very important step to ensure the cake doesnt become soggy!
4. Into a large bowl, add the courgette, sugar, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, oil, and chia egg. Mix until well combined.
5. Add in the rest of the ingredients- the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, flour and sugar. Mix thoroughly until a thick batter is formed.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer (if you dont have a skewer, you can use a small knife!) inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin.
8. After the cake is completely cool, prepare the lemon glaze by mixing together the icing sugar, lemon juice and yellow food colouring. To make the glaze thicker add more icing sugar, and to make it thinner add more lemon juice. Pour over the cake.
9. Top with lemon slices and chia seeds. Serve!
Recipe developed from thebakingfairy.