Chocolate orange loaf cake
Paid partnership with chocbox confections.
This cake fits one 23x13cm (9x5 inch) loaf tin. If you're having to substitute loaf tins, try to use one closest in size.
For the cake
240g self-raising flour
180g caster sugar
45g cocoa powder
2 tbsp orange zest (approx. 1 orange)
1 x 80g @chocboxconfections rice milk chocolate orange bar, chopped into small chunks
2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
200ml soy milk
125ml vegetable oil
120ml orange juice (approx. 2 oranges)
2 tsp orange oil/extract
For the frosting
20g @chocboxconfections rice milk chocolate orange bar, grated (link to purchase is in my bio!)
120g icing sugar
70g dairy-free butter
15g cocoa powder
1 tsp orange oil/extract
1 tbsp orange zest (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9x5 inch loaf tin with parchment paper, making sure to leave some overhanging on both sides so the cake can be lifted out easily.
2. Into a large bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and caster sugar. Mix until combined.
3. Zest one orange and juice two to make around 2 tbsp zest and 120ml juice. Place into a jug with the soy milk, vegetable oil and orange oil/extract. Mix well.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined- do not to over mix!
5. Fold in the chopped @chocboxconfections rice milk chocolate orange bar.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 55-60 minutes until a skewer (if you don't have a skewer, you can just use a knife!) inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
7. Leave the cake to cool completely before making the frosting.
8. To make the frosting, add the icing sugar, butter, cocoa powder and orange oil/extract to a bowl and mix well.
9. Spoon the frosting onto the cake. Top with some extra orange zest and some grated @chocboxconfections rice milk chocolate orange bar.
Recipe developed from cupfulofkale.