Banana bread cinnamon rolls
Makes 9 servings.
For the dough:
240g white bread flour
One large ripe banana, mashed (approx 115-130g)
75ml plant-based milk
30g caster sugar
30g vegan butter, melted
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
For the filling:
90g brown sugar
50g vegan butter, softened
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
A handful of nuts, eg walnuts or pecans, crushed (OPTIONAL)
A handful of raisins (OPTIONAL)
For the glaze: 120g icing sugar
1.5 tbsp plant-based milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Into a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Mix well.
2. Add in the butter, milk and mashed banana and mix to form a sticky dough.
3. Knead for 5-10 minutes on a lightly oiled surface until the dough is smooth and stretchy.
4. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and leave overnight in the fridge to rise.
5. To make the filling, mix together the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nuts and raisins in a bowl. Set aside.
6. Remove the risen dough from the fridge and punch down a few times. Knead briefly for a minute to get rid of any air bubbles.
7. Onto a floured surface, roll out the dough to form a 20x30 cm rectangle.
8. Spread over the cinnamon filling, pressing it down to form an even layer.
9. Roll the dough up tightly from one of the long edges into a sausage. Use a sharp knife to slice the roll into approx 9 slices.
10. Arrange the slices cut side down into a 23 x 20cm baking tin with baking parchment. Cover loosely and set aside to rise for 30-40 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
12. Once the rolls have risen slightly, bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
13. Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes in the baking tin.
14. To make the glaze, add the icing sugar into a bowl along with the milk and vanilla extract. Mix well to form a thick glaze. To make the glaze thinner, add in a bit more milk. To make it thicker, add in a bit more icing sugar.
15. Drizzle the glaze over the cinnamon rolls and serve!